“To every child I dream of a world where you can laugh, dance, sing, learn, live in
peace and be happy.”
Was there a time in your childhood that was particularly tough for you? This exercise is a beautiful way to go back and begin healing.
Here’s the video that goes along with this post:
How to Heal Your Past: Powerful Visualization
• Get comfortable, relax, and take a few slow, deep breaths.
• Imagine you are taking your younger self by the hand and you are going back in time with her.
• Let her show you what happened back then. Let her tell you how she felt. Let her get it all out. You are like her parent now – kind, supportive, loving. And you can comfort her now. You can let her pour it all out to you. She might not have been able to tell anyone about her pain back then. But, she can tell you now.
• Hug her in your imagination, if she would like to be hugged. Tell her it’s going to be ok now. Tell her whatever you want to let her know.
• Did she need someone to stick up for her in that scene? You can be that person now. Did she need someone to explain things? You can do that now. Whatever she needed then, give it
to her now.
In fact, your parents, whether they are still with you or have passed, would be glad to know that you are comforting her now. They would have comforted her exactly like you are doing if they would have known she needed it. It’s ok. They weren’t perfect. But, you know they loved her then and love you now.
• End this visualization any way you’d like. You can place your little self in your heart. You can tell her goodbye for now. You can tell her she is always with you.
And remember, talking like this to your younger self is actually healthy. It doesn’t mean you
are strange or weird or that you won’t be able to stop. It’s actually so good for you. It’s healing. You’re going to notice how beautiful you’re going to feel after doing this visualization.
• Do this visualization as often as you’d like and for any time or experience in your past.
Connect Again With Your Younger Self
“No other love, no matter how genuine it is, can fulfill one’s heart better than
unconditional self love.”
Instead of going back in time, like in the exercise above – in this visualization, you’ll stay in the present. You’ll take your younger self in your imagination and show her how amazing your life is now.
Visualize taking her by the hand and showing her around. Your family, your home or apartment, your pets, your school or your job, your friends and hangouts, etc.
Imagine how happy she would be as a little girl knowing how great she was going to grow up to be. It’s just a beautiful, fun way to use your imagination.
There are so many benefits to doing visualizations like this.
Thanks for reading!
If you’d like to get my newsletter, just click here.